Monday, April 27, 2009

Canning beans and wheat and rice, do dah, do dah!


Mess in the kitchen = annoyingly common


Kids wanting to help = common and somewhat annoying




Being prepared with food storage = PRICELESS



I have to admit...I'm feeling a bit accomplished. I borrowed the stake can sealer, purchased beans, wheat flour and rice in bulk, bought cans, lids and boxes from the cannery and went at it (canning, that is). I helped a friend can her food and she stayed and helped me can some of mine. I had to make an extra trip to the store for more beans and rice; this gave the kids an opportunity to help me can. It was also a perfect opportunity to talk to them about the importance of food storage, being prepared, etc. So, today, I added 26 cans of food to my growing year supply. Yeah! My next task: more water storage. (I still have 25 lbs of white rice and 25 lbs of pinto beans to can - I ran out of cans and lids. I haven't mastered the art of counting cans per pounds of food or reading the recommended contents from the cannery's chart. Duh and darn).
For more info on family food storage, click here: http://www.providentliving.org

5 comments:

Stef said...

Yay for you Julia!! We are getting ours as well. But that sounds like fun!

ajwhet10 said...

PROUD OF YOU!!! You will be so glad to have this, whether you ever desperately need it or not. It just eases the stress of a crummy economy. :)

Anonymous said...

COOL. I will try to come the next time your borrow it.

Edna Guerrero said...

DUDE! Invite me next time! When I find my sheet that says how many cans you need for whatever lbs - I will send it your way.

Andréa Morrow said...

that's great you got a lot done! I'm excited for the next time