Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Walmart funnies

I tried to make a quick trip to the local Walmart Supercenter this morning with the twins while the older two were at basketball camp. I only needed to pick up 2 items, underwear and some picante Ramen noodles, both for Sam. I ran in and immediately got distracted with fabulous clearance items. Knowing this might (will /would) happen, I left my wallet in the van and stuffed a $20 in my pocket (that's how I budget).
I picked up a shirt for myself at a whopping $4 and headed over to the boys department. I found some undies for Sam and, while chasing the twins out of the center of the every clothing rack, shuffled off to grab some Ramen noodles. I grabbed an entire case of noodles and encouraged the twins to step up their pace. They were rushing like a heard of turtles and I feared I wouldn't make it back to pick up the other kids on time.
I headed towards the checkout and that's when I realized that there is no such thing as a quick trip to Walmart. The checkout lines are always painfully long - I needed to get out of there FAST! Holding the case of noodles, I looked desperately at every lit-up checkout number. Each one was 2-3 customers deep. Then something caught my eye - a checkout counter without a line (not even one customer)! I looked at the lit number over the cash register to verify it's location, made eye contact with the cashier (male) and mouthed, "Yes, it's open." I turned around and asked the twins to hurry, hurry, hurry. When I turned back, the light over the cash register was off and the cashier was nowhere in sight! Where did he go? I looked left, I looked right. Surely, if he closed the register, I would be able to see him walking away. No bother, I was in a hurry and needed to move fast. I mouthed, "Darn, closed!" (My mouthings were really loud enough to hear by all within a 15' radius.)
Anyway...after I said that out loud, the cashier popped his head up from behind the counter and flipped on his light and said, "Ha, just kidding!"
I laughed so hard and so did he. He said the look on my face was so funny that he wished he had a camera to send it into one of those home-video shows. I told him that he made me think I was crazy and imagined the open/no-customers-in-line register. We laughed and laughed and laughed. He said that right before he turned the light off and ducked down he asked the Lord for forgiveness. I told him his little joke was wrong but funny!
It's nice to know that good humor (on both sides) is still alive and well.

5 comments:

ajwhet10 said...

I started chuckling half-way through and didn't stop! Some days all you need is a good laugh! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That is funny! You willhave to show me what guy did it when we go together sometime. hahahaha

Salsa Mama said...

That is awesome! I would never expect something like that from walmart! Love it!!

Christine said...

I love that!!!

Stef said...

Those rascally checkers! Hillarious!